September 21 2014 Latest news:
by Sam Blewett, Reporter
Thursday, June 26, 2014
When a 21-month-old toddler gave his grandad a Father’s Day mug it was intended as a warm gesture.
But, last week, when his grandmother went to make the second cup of tea in the mug it broke in half, scalding her stomach.
Carly Light, 28, from Straight Road, Romford, purchased the mug from Card Factory in the Baytree Centre, Brentwood, for her son Henry to give to her cab driver father Henry Light, 53.
But her mother Linda Light, 56, of Carter Drive, Romford, received a nasty shock when making a brew.
“All of a sudden it went everywhere. All over the side. All over the washing machine,” she said.
Luckily, she knows first aid so cooled herself off straight away and treated her wound.
“I was really glad my grandson wasn’t by my legs at the time. It would’ve scalded him terribly,” she said. “It got my belly badly enough.”
Carly was shocked by the incident and has called for Card Factory to remove the product from the shelves immediately.
“Mum reacted quite quickly so hopefully she doesn’t have permanent scarring but what if my son was there?” she said.
“It is unthinkable if a young child, like my son, was near my mum while making this tea or an elderly person that has received this as a Father’s Day present, could not react as quickly as my mum did, then burn could have been very severe.
“I think it must be a very poor quality mug.”
Card Factory has not yet responded to the Recorder’s request for comment.