Allotment users launch campaign against neighbouring land being sold to housing developer

09:59 16 November 2012

Melville Road Allotment users and Cllrs Jeff Tucker and David Durant are against part of the neighbouring land being sold to a housing developer.

Melville Road Allotment users and Cllrs Jeff Tucker and David Durant are against part of the neighbouring land being sold to a housing developer.


»Allotment users have joined forces to campaign against land next to their plots being sold to a developer for housing.

Last week Havering Council’s cabinet agreed to sell the majority of land – 1.53 acres – next to Rainham’s Melville Road Allotments for residential development and to create additional allotments on 0.6 acres.

The sale will be subject to planning permission and the approval of the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government.

Officers recommended extending the adjoining allotment site for use by local people.

But allotment users have collected more than 100 names of people opposed to any land next to the allotments being turned into housing.

James Green, from the Rainham Horticultural Society who says he waited a year for his plot of land, said: “This decision [by the council] is, to be honest, barmy as on the present site we have no vacant plots and a waiting list.


“Although the council says it will develop 0.6 of an acre of the land, this doesn’t take into consideration future growth and demand.”

He added that one allotment user told him: “We dug for victory on that land during the war, and we need to preserve as much of Rainham’s heritage as we can.”

Allotment user Bob Farnsworth said: “A freedom of information statement in 2010 stated that the council had 960 plots over 23 sites and that 300 were on the waiting lists.

“Development in this less affluent part of the borough is not welcome. We have no spare school places, no spare health resources and it seems, less leisure opportunities.”

Cllr Roger Ramsey, cabinet member for value, said: “Some of this disused land in Rainham will be used to extend the allotments in Melville Road, helping meet the demand for allotment plots locally.

“The rest of the site will go to provide new, much-needed family homes with gardens for residents.

“We are working with Hornchurch and District Allotments and Gardening Society, which manages this site, on the finer details of the proposals, such as how many plots would be provided, and where, and facilities such as extra car parking, water supplies and fencing.”

Allotment holders will meet on Monday, November 19, at Rainham Methodist Church Hall to discuss their next steps.


Latest News Stories

The Recorder, October 7 1955

This week in history – 60, 40 and 20 years ago.

Harrow Lodge Park Picture: Arnaud Stephenson

A proposal to introduce parking charges to 19 of the borough’s parks has prompted a mixed reaction from residents and sports clubs.

Yesterday, 17:26
Education Secretary Nicky Morgan addresses the Conservative Party conference at Manchester Central. Picture Stefan Rousseau/PA Images

Parent power could see schools providing childcare for the whole working day and holidays if enough families request it.

Yesterday, 16:15
Rob Bull, pilot killed in the Chigwell air crash

The operators of a plane which crashed in Chigwell killing the two pilots on board have paid tribute to the pair in a heartfelt statement.

Yesterday, 12:21
Adesina was stabbed in Padbury Court, Bethnal Green

Stabbed teenager Joel Adesina spent his final hours in a weaponised gang wearing face coverings and fleeing at least one man with a knife, the Old Bailey heard.

Yesterday, 10:32
Straight Road, Romford

A man in his 40s was stabbed in Straight Road, Romford, last night.

Yesterday, 10:00
Cllr Ross Hatfull says Redbridge Council will ask people to move out of the borough so they do not become homeless, such is the extent of the housing crisis. Photo: Ian West/PA Archive/PA Images

Havering Council has the lowest acceptance rate of homelessness of any London borough.

Yesterday, 07:15
Train passing level crossing

A victim of sexual assault who was “shaken” by an incident on a train is calling for more action in deterring sexual offences on public transport following TfL’s announcement of a 32per cent increase in London.

Most read news

News from your area


Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.


You'll be stocked up on toiletries  for a while!

Cosmetics, toiletries, vitamins and more.

You could be splashing the cash at Topshop!

Just imagine what you could do with £1,000 to spend at Topshop.

Digital Edition

Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder