Search

Elm Park duo’s attempt to beat world record stopped by closure of station

09:37 17 June 2014

Jack Stallibrass and Rifat Ershad at Elm Park station

Jack Stallibrass and Rifat Ershad at Elm Park station

Archant

A duo jumped on the underground, whizzing around all of the London underground stations, in attempt to beat a Guinness World Record.

An ambitious duo were stopped in their tracks during a Guinness World Record attempt to visit all of the London Underground stations.

Jack Stallibrass, 19, of Calbourne Avenue and Rifat Ershad, 19, of Benhurst Avenue, from Elm Park, have made it their mission to conquer a Guinness world record, by visiting all of the 270 stations in less than 16 hours and 20 minutes.

Before the day, Rifat said: “It’s going to be difficult for us to complete but we have prepared and worked out our route so hopefully we can do it,”

The guys woke up before the crack of dawn on Monday morning, at 4.30am and started their journey at Upminster station and are aiming to finish their day at Heathrow airport, at around 9.30pm tonight so they can knock the previous record holders, Geoff Marshall and his friend Anthony who did the same record last year, off the top spot.

But there is more to the record attempt than just ultimate gloating rights - no, they were both also hopping frantically from one train to the next, as Jack wanted to raise money for Saint Francis Hospice, in memory of his granddad who passed away from cancer around 10 years ago, and took care of him in his remaining days.

Jack said: “The charity is important to me as it is a really good cause and I just want to do all that I can to help.”

But Rifat, who is currently taking a gap year before he goes to university, will hopefully be making an even longer journey soon, as he wants to raise money for his trip to India, so he can work with Raleigh International, a sustainable development charity, which provides food, shelter and education to those in need.

However, Jack and Rifat had to put those thoughts of helping others out of their heads and focus on travelling through 270 underground stations in less than 16 hours and 20 minutes.

But plans to become world record holders have been delayed as the duo could not complete their ultimate journey, as Marylebone station was temporarily closed all afternoon, thanks to a cable fire.

Jack said: “It was a relief to finish as it was exhausting but we were disappointed at the same time.

“It was a fairly decent effort but I think we need to adjust our route slightly if we’re going to do it next summer.”

Rifat added: “It is a shame we didn’t complete it but thanks to everyone who gave us their support. Damn Marylebone!”

Read more:

Elm Park men attempt to beat world record by visiting all 270 London underground stations

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

7 minutes ago
Enjoy firework displays being held across the borough.

Get into the bonfire spirit with firework nights across the borough.

14 minutes ago

A 28-year-old woman spent five hours trapped in her bathroom after the door’s lock failed to open.

The Queen's Theatre has launched a video asking people to support the venue in saying no to cuts being made to their funding.

Queen’s Theatre has released a video plea to its supporters to help it make Havering Council reconsider a proposed funding cut of £200,000.

12:52
Children put on a scary face in a Halloween party

Ghosts, ghouls, vampires and witches are prowling the streets of Havering - luckily these little demons were on the hunt for sweets and chocolate rather than human prey.

Most read news

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

News from your area

And it’s said to be revolutionising access to donor sperm throughout the country.

Many people now feel they have to move jobs to better their career and get ahead.

‘Go get him’ said the police officer, and that’s just what the dog did.

It’s deforestation, but not as you’ve seen it before.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition