Search

Council seeks to calm nerves at Brookside Junior School after super-head’s dismissal

13:02 05 June 2014

Ex-head Adrian McNeillis (right) with former councillor Pat Murray (second left) and Brookside parents

Ex-head Adrian McNeillis (right) with former councillor Pat Murray (second left) and Brookside parents

Archant

Havering Council has sought to calm parents’ fears that Brookside Junior School will be left with a lack of staff in September after the recent dismissal of super-head Adrian McNeillis.

The struggling Harold Hill school, set to become an academy this summer, lost its headteacher less than 48 hours before it broke up for half-term after Mr McNeillis sent a email to parents and guardians warning that “turbulence” at the school was likely to continue.

His message added that the school could be left without as many as seven members of staff if it was slow to recruit.

On Monday, 11 days after Mr McNeillis’s dismissal, parents were sent a joint letter from Havering Council and academy sponsors the Drapers’ Company and Queen Mary, University of London.

Following “academisation”, Brookside Junior School will be known as Drapers’ Brookside Junior School.

In the letter, Mary Pattinson, head of learning and achievement at Havering Council, and Drapers’ Brookside Junior School chair designate Stephen Foakes wrote: “The council and the sponsors are working closely together to appoint good classroom teachers so that the school will be fully staffed by the beginning of the autumn term.”

The current head of neighbouring Brookside Infant School, Angela Winch, will become the executive head of both schools come September, the letter added.

Year 6 teacher Natalie Marris will be acting head in the interim.

Pupil Victoria Porter, an 11-year-old in Year 6, said she was “quite shocked” by Mr McNeillis’s unexpected departure, adding: “For months we have been getting lots of different teachers.

“It’s been havoc. Every time we get a new teacher, the class acts up.”

Mum Sarah Porter, 39, from Harold Hill, said she had spoken to the new temporary head and believed the school was doing “everything it can”.

But she added: “I’m not particularly happy with the local authority because I feel they should have let us know during the half-term.

“It should not have been through the media that we found out.

“I just feel that the local authority has let us down.”

Responding to the council’s note, parent Tina Wright said: “I don’t think the letters tell us much.

“Everything is still up in the air and parents are not happy.”

Last week, a council spokesman said the decision to dismiss Mr McNeillis had been taken entirely by the recruitment consultancy that employed him, but added it followed conversations with the local authority.

Read more:

Super-head removed from post after ‘school turbulence’ note to parents
1,000 put names to petition after girl knocked down and hospitalised outside Harold Hill school

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 18:33

As fireworks light up the skies above Havering, firefighters have walked out in a strike that has been described as putting “people’s lives at risk”.

Yesterday, 17:45
Enjoy firework displays being held across the borough.

Get into the bonfire spirit with firework nights across the borough.

Yesterday, 17:37

A 28-year-old woman spent five hours trapped in her bathroom after the door’s lock failed to open.

Yesterday, 14:23
The Queen's Theatre has launched a video asking people to support the venue in saying no to cuts being made to their funding.

Queen’s Theatre has released a video plea to its supporters to help it make Havering Council reconsider a proposed funding cut of £200,000.

Most read news

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

News from your area

“Space is hard and today was a tough day.”

One pilot is dead and another seriously injured after the craft exploded over the Mojave desert.

One pilot has died and another is seriously injured after a rocket belonging to billionaire Sir Richard Branson’s space tourism venture crashed during a test flight. Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo rocket came down in the Mojave Desert in California. An eyewitness reported that the craft exploded in flight after ignition. A Virgin Galactic spokesman said the […]

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition