Search

Backlash against proposed cuts posted from Havering library service’s twitter account

12:13 01 September 2014

Screenshot of Havering Library service

Screenshot of Havering Library service's twitter feed taken at 9am on September 1

Archant

An angry backlash against proposed cuts to Havering’s libraries has been posted on the council-run service’s twitter page.

It appears that someone may have hacked into the Havering Library Service twitter account, @Haveringlibrary, to express their disgust at plans to slash the service’s budget by more than £1million.

A tirade against the cuts started at about 8pm on Friday evening with the tweet “50 jobs to go at Havering Libraries part of Havering Councils budget cuts proposals”. The tweet was retweeted 14 times and favourited three times by users of the social media network.

At 11.21pm on Friday the account tweeted “No more events or activities unless run by volunteers at havering libraries so pay your council tax and provide services yourself !!”

The outcry continued into Friday night.

Havering Council unveiled budget plans intended to make £60million of savings last week.

Within the proposals the library budget is slashed by £1.138million, a move that would see a reduction in opening hours at some branches.

A spokesman for the council has said it is not known who tweeted the comments.

Councillor Melvin Wallace, Cabinet Member for Culture & Community Engagement, said: “I understand entirely that some staff are upset by the proposals, especially given the impact on jobs in the library service. There are other staff across the Council who are also facing uncertainty around their jobs, and it’s important we listen to them, as well as the public, before any plans are finalised.

“We’ve had to draw up proposals to reduce the Council’s budget by around a third and there are hard decisions to make across all our services. We’re hugely proud of our libraries, which is why no library would close under our proposals.

“We believe that shortened opening hours is a price worth paying to avoid closures, but we’ll be happy to hear from staff or customers if they have alternative ideas.”

A public consultation is expected to be launched towards the end of September.

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 16:35
Daniel Radcliffe posed for this selfie with Zarra Cushing. The pair passed their tests at the same time. Picture: Zarra Cushing

Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe passed his driving test in Hornchurch today.

Yesterday, 18:28
Do you recognise this man?

This man is wanted for questioning by police in connection with two robberies in Romford town centre.

Yesterday, 16:52
The family of Prince the six-month-old pup were overjoyed and confused when their family pet was returned to them shaved.

A family was both overjoyed and bewildered when their missing dog was returned to them with less fur than he had left with.

Yesterday, 15:11
Is this Daniel Radcliffe? Picture: Sabjon Memia (@Sabjon_MEMIA)

Is this Daniel Radcliffe snapped driving in Hornchurch today?

Most read news

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

News from your area

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

At 100 years old, this was Ruby Holt’s first visit to the beach – and the first time she saw the ocean.