Search

Work starts on Havering’s first new council homes in 20 years

11:46 05 August 2014

Cllr Damian White toasts the start of work with builders’ favourite, a cup of tea

Cllr Damian White toasts the start of work with builders’ favourite, a cup of tea

Archant

Work has begun on Havering’s first council properties project in more than 20 years.

Last year Garrick House residents, joined by Cllr White, opposed the plansLast year Garrick House residents, joined by Cllr White, opposed the plans

The Garrick House sheltered home scheme in Hornchurch will have two single-storey extensions added to the existing block - creating nine bungalows for over-55’s.

It is the first in a series of new developments which will include 70 new homes being built on underused land, with the aim of helping older people downgrade from difficult-to-maintain homes to bungalows, freeing up larger properties for young families.

The project was opposed last year by residents of Garrick House, who complained their communal garden would be compromised.

Tom Waller, 61, was originally “gutted” about the scheme, but now says he has accepted it, and even the councillors themselves appear to have changed their minds about the new homes.

Cllr Damian White, now cabinet member for housing, backed the residents in their opposition last year, calling for the council to review the plans.

But speaking this week, he said: “It’s great news work has now started. This is the first step in creating more homes for local people, and given the demand in Havering, it’s crucial we’re able to create high quality properties that residents really need.”

Havering Council has funded the project to the tune of £1m, in addition to a grant of more than £250,000 from the Greater London Authority.

The work will be carried out by Quadrillion Construction.

Read more:

Garrick House residents lose fight to stop homes being built on Hornchurch green

Affordable homes for older residents in Havering

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 16:32
We Are FSTVL

Festival-goers were stranded at We Are FSTVL in what has been described as “something from a horror film” after transport systems failed on Saturday night.

Yesterday, 17:47
Naidu and Naidu. Picture: Google Maps

A dental nurse has been sacked for misconduct after lying about a caution for cocaine possession in her registration form.

Yesterday, 17:06
London has been hit by strong wind, hail and rain (Photo by Oli Scarff/Getty Images)

The MET office has issued a severe weather warning as strong winds and rain threaten to cause disruption across the capital.

Yesterday, 15:09
Two new train strikes are planned for June 4 and June 9  (Photo by Cate Gillon/Getty Images)

Planned rail strikes have been suspended after talks over a pay deal, the arbitration service Acas has said.

Most read news

News from your area

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

Competitions

Time to expand with the LeefiBRIDGE.

More iOS memory in a flash: Introducing Leef iBRIDGE.

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder