Upminster man dumped 36 tonnes of asbestos-contaminated waste in Beckton street
PUBLISHED: 11:02 18 April 2017 | UPDATED: 11:11 18 April 2017
A fly-tipper from Upminster could be facing jail after he admitted dumping 36 tonnes of asbestos-contaminated rubble on a street in Beckton.
Stuart Beattie, 26, dumped the dangerous waste in two separate spots on Eric Clarke Lane, which resulted in the road being closed and buses put on diversion.
His reckless action also mean the entrance to children’s riding stables were blocked.
The clear up operation cost the council £9,000.
Last week at Thames Magistrates Court he admitted fly-tipping.
However the sitting magistrates said their powers of punishment were insufficient to match the seriousness of the crime so it was transferred to Snaresbrook Crown Court.
He will be sentenced on Thursday.
Councillor Pat Murphy, mayoral adviser for environment, said: “This was a fantastic piece of work by the fly-tip task force, which has swiftly brought a criminal fly-tipper to book. Beattie showed no regard for the safety of Newham residents when he dumped asbestos-contaminated waste on a public highway.
“His actions also resulted in substantial inconvenience to residents who found their buses re-routed.
“I am delighted the magistrates recognised the seriousness of the offences, and we look forward to the crown court taking a similarly tough stance, and sentence accordingly.
“This case underlines our commitment to investigate, catch and bring to justice criminals who endanger our residents, and deface our environment by dumping rubbish in our borough.”