September 19 2014 Latest news:
Harriet Orrell, Reporter
Friday, August 15, 2014
The travellers who unlawfully moved onto King George’s Playing Fields yesterday have left, Havering Council confirmed today.
They moved onto the fields around lunch time yesterday and parks protection officers remained on the site until they left at approximately 7pm.
This is the second group of travellers to gain unauthorised access to an open space in Romford in less than a week.
Around 12 caravans arrived behind Lilliput Road, less than two miles from the playing fields, and remained for three days last weekend.
Labour candidate for Romford, Sam Gould, said earlier this week: “I have warned the council that this will continue to happen until they begin to exercise precautionary measures in problem areas so that travellers cannot occupy spaces in the first place.”
Cllr Melvin Wallace, cabinet member for culture and community engagement, said the council “won’t tolerate any unauthorised settlement in our parks or green spaces”.