Search

Only 22 “Beds in Sheds” cases reported to Havering Council in 2013

13:12 06 February 2014

The issue of people living illegally in outbuildings or sheds has been an endemic one for many London borough councils in recent years – but not in Havering, it has emerged.

A freedom of information request shows in 2013 the council received just 22 complaints regarding so-called “Beds in Sheds” – only nine were later confirmed as unauthorised.

Cllr Lesley Kelly, cabinet member for housing, feels Havering’s distance from central London dissuades people from living illegally in the borough.

She said: “We do not have the issue with immigration that maybe inner London has. “If people are going to live here [illegally] and travel into London to work they are going to be priced out.”

The illegal structures, some dangerous and cramped, are offered by landlords - often to Britain’s illegal migrants.

Redbridge Council reported early last month it had discovered 118 people living in illegal outbuildings since April 2013.

Since last April, Redbridge Council has successfully prosecuted seven private landlords for housing offences.

The landlords were fined a total of £79,100 and ordered to pay £6,853 costs.

Cllr Kelly sympathised with Havering’s neighbouring borough, and said the “high number” of cases was “wrong”.

She added: “My immediate reaction was we are very impressive in Havering – “Beds in Sheds” is just a minor problem.

“We do not get any central government budget to deal with “beds in sheds”.

“We have a section [at Havering Council] for people to check with complaints - I had one at the end of last year where a family had built quite a big shed and people were coming and going.

“People were suspicious but it just turned out they had a big family with loads of aunts and uncles.”

In 2013, four London boroughs - Redbridge, Newham, Hillingdon and Ealing - were given £800,000 to tackle the issue. Havering has not received any additional funding, according to Cllr Kelly.

Latest News Stories

17:01
Police want to speak to this man

Detectives want to speak to this man over a baseball bat robbery that left a 56-year-old with serious head injuries – and the theft of the CCTV footage the next day.

16:00
The victim looks stunned

A man has been charged with robbery following a lunchtime attack in Hornchurch town centre on Saturday.

14:30
Chandlers Way, Romford. Picturee: Google Street View

A man was punched in the face before he was robbed by a group of three men.

13:29
PCSO Rian Black with Yeah eight students, Chanel Moran, 12, Sadie French, 12,  and Mogan Fallon, 12 in Food technology class run by Mr Dennis

Studious police officers swapped their truncheons for text books when they traded places with school pupils for a day.

Most read news

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

News from your area

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder

One describes a murder as “gut-wrenchingly awesome” while another calls for “more beheadings”.

Firefighters were called in to help two cows which had fallen through ice.

Decisions about if the controversial shale gas extraction be allowed have been delayed.

We asked the question, but the results may surprise you.