Search

Mother-of-two given nine-month suspended jail sentence after sub-letting Rainham council flat

14:00 14 February 2013

PA Wire/Press Association Images

A mother-of-two who committed fraud by privately sub-letting her council flat was handed a suspended prison sentence and ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.

Oyinade Agbaje, 43, pleaded guilty to dishonestly obtaining services and dishonestly failing to disclose information to make a gain for herself or another at Basildon Crown Court on Friday, February 1.

Investigations had shown Mrs Agbaje did not even live in the borough, and has owned a house in Dagenham for 13 years.

Speaking after the case, Havering’s housing boss Cllr Lesley Kelly said: “This was a calculated arrangement that enabled the defendant to defraud the taxpayer and make money out of a property that is meant to be affordable for those who need it.

“We have a large housing register in Havering that we are trying to reduce. We cannot allow people who do not live in the borough to sub-let our properties when there are people waiting for them.”

In a press release, Havering Council said Mrs Agbaje, of Clemence Road, Dagenham, was given a council house in Walden Avenue, Rainham, in 2005 after claiming her marriage had broken down and that she was a lone parent of two children. She was also given £350 in vouchers to redecorate.

In 2009, the council added, Mrs Agbaje and her daughters were moved to a property in Chantry Way owned by Old Ford Housing. Mrs Agbaje also received a “homeless and disturbance” payment of £5,677.53 for the move.

In 2011 staff at the housing association became suspicious the family was not living at the flat – because Mrs Agbaje and her children had not been seen around the estate.

An investigation found Mrs Agbaje’s daughters went to school in Westcliff and lived in Clemence Road, Dagenham. Financial checks revealed Mrs Agbaje had a mortgage and had owned the property since 1999.

Other people were found living at the Chantry Way address, and it was discovered Mrs Agbaje had been sub-letting the property to them.

Latest News Stories

Prince William handing over John Morris' OBE at Buckingham Palace.

A headteacher has said he is “over the moon” to have been awarded an OBE for his services to education.

17:25
First Step is running a competition where readers can win tickets to its summer ball

Two lucky readers are set to be transported back to the 1920s.

General view of HGV lorries.

Space for 50 tipper trucks will replace some of the old Ford site in Rainham if plans are approved.

Hall Lane, Upminster, has been closed off after a collision this morning.

Two women had to be cut out of a car after they were involved in a collision this morning.

Most read news

News from your area

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

Competitions

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder