Search

Man punches through screen and grabs bus driver by throat

16:01 26 August 2014

The attack was in Rainham

The attack was in Rainham

Archant

A 23-year-old man smashed through a screen and grabbed a bus driver by the throat in an “unprovoked” and “vicious” attack.

Jayden Nicholas fought with the driver of a 287 bus on Bridge Road, Rainham, after he boarded the vehicle without a ticket and was handed a suspended sentence last Thursday.

Nicholas immediately became verbally abusive to the bus driver after his invalid ticket was refused in April.

He shouted and swore at the driver before repeatedly punched the assault screen that separated the pair.

Nicholas, of Barking Road, Newham, hit the screen with such force that he broke through it and grabbed the driver by the throat and began shaking him.

A passenger managed to pull Nicholas from the driver and push him off the bus. Nicholas then ran off.

The Metropolitan Police’s Workplace Violence Unit launched an investigation which resulted in Nicholas being identified and arrested a month after the attack.

Supt Rob Revill, of the roads and transport police, said: “This was a particularly vicious, unprovoked assault on a bus driver who was just doing his job. I am pleased that the professional and thorough investigation has resulted in the suspect pleading guilty.”

Transport for London’s enforcement director Steve Burton said he was “very pleased” with the prosecution of Nicholas who attacked a driver who was “just doing his job”.

He said: “Our staff should be allowed to carry out their daily work duties without fear of attack from the travelling public. We will continue to work with our policing partners to identify offenders and will always push for the toughest penalties for anyone who abuses our staff.”

Nicholas was sentenced at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court after pleading guilty to common assault, criminal damage and affray.

He was sentenced to a 12-week prison sentence suspended for 12 months and a 12-month supervision order.

He was also and ordered to pay £150 compensation to the victim, £360 compensation to Stagecoach and £30 each to the two passengers who witnessed the attack, and pay a £60 victim surcharge.

Read more:

Family left homeless after bus crashes into their Harold Hill home

Court: Former-bus driver charged with deaths of couple hit in Western Road, Romford

Pregnant woman told to get off 165 bus for having too much change

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 18:55
The power cut is causing delays between Liverpool Street and Shenfield

Trains between Liverpool Street and Shenfield are delayed this evening due to electrical supply problems at Forest Gate.

Yesterday, 17:08
Right Choice Insurance Brokers staff take part in this year's Wear It Pink event. Picture: Vicci Shaughnessy

Insurance brokers were tickled pink as they raised money for a breast cancer charity,

Yesterday, 16:46
Mayor, Cllr Linda Trew, with Stefania Rossi and the team at the Utopia re-launch

A beauty salon has received a glamorous makeover.

Yesterday, 15:34
Angel Williams, 13 (Picture: Metropolitan Police)

A 13-year-old Romford girl who went missing last week has been found safe and well, police have confirmed.

Most read news

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

Biffo and Bobo better stay away from the town of Vendargues this Halloween.

As a state of emergency is declared in Burkina Faso, what does the future hold for its president and people?

It might not be moving very fast but it’s still causing problems.

After staging an Ebola-themed night, a nightclub has been forced to make an apology after hundreds complained about the tasteless event.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition