December 10 2013 Latest news:
Friday, October 11, 2013
The identity of a Romford teenager who brutally strangled and stabbed an 88-year-old to death, is to be revealed today after legal restrictions were lifted.
The Recorder was banned from naming the youth after the courts imposed a Section 39 Order which prevents identification an offender under 18. Today is his 18th birthday.
The thug murdered Margery Gilbey and ransacked her room in the sheltered accommodation where she lived in Tower Hamlets.
She had been living in the first floor flat for just 10 weeks.
Mrs Gilbey was found dead by a care assistant at the Sonali Gardens care home on May 24.
The teenager faces a life sentence after pleading guilty on Monday to murder at the Old Bailey.
Speaking at the time of Mrs Gilbey’s death, Chris Munday, director of Sancturary Supported Living, which runs the care home, said: “Margery was a very kind and gentle lady and will be greatly missed by our staff and all who knew her.”
The teenager will be sentenced on November 8 once his defence has provided medial reports. On Monday, Judge John Bevan said: “The sentence will inevitably be one of detention for life because you have pleaded guilty to murder.
“I will give you such credit as I can for your plea of guilty. Meanwhile reports will be prepared about you.’