Search

Fusilier Lee Rigby’s Romford killer given whole-life sentence

17:16 26 February 2014

Michael Adebolajo. Picture: Met Police

Michael Adebolajo. Picture: Met Police

Archant

The Romford killer of Fusilier Lee Rigby will die behind bars after a judge at the Old Bailey handed him a whole-life sentence today for the murder of Fusilier Lee Rigby.

Michael Adebolajo, 29, from Romford, and Michael Adebowale, 22, of Greenwhich, were found guilty killing the soldier after they drove into him before hacking him to death with a knife.

Adebowale was sentenced to serve 45 years in prison but the judge deemed a whole-life sentence for him inappropriate

The murderers had to be restrained after they shouted at judge shortly before the sentence was to be read out. They were pinned to the ground by guards and taken to their cells. The judge sentenced them in their absence.

The pair were convicted of Rigby’s murder last December after a jury unanimously found them guilty.

Their sentencing was held off until the decision came from the court of appeal that whole-life sentences are justified in the “most heinous cases”.

Adebolajo attended Marshalls Park School, Romford.

Police Assistant Commissioner Cressida Dick said: “Today’s sentence reflects the true horror of their actions in taking this young man’s life in such a barbaric way.

“Our thoughts remain with Lee’s loved ones, who have shown dignity and strength throughout the judicial process.”

On December 19, 2013, Rigby was nearby his barracks wearing a Help for Heroes sweatshirt when he was struck by a blue Vauxhall Tigra being driven at speeds between 30 and 40mph by Adebolajo.

The pair got out of the car and attacked the soldier with knives and a machete while Rigby lay stunned by the impact of the car.

As officers arrived Adebolajo ran towards them with a cleaver above his head and Adebowale ran alongside the car pointing a gun at the officers.

Firearms officers shot the men and detained them.

What are your thoughts on the sentencing? Contact Sam on 0208 477 3892 or email sam.blewett@archant.co.uk

Related articles

Latest News Stories

Prince William handing over John Morris' OBE at Buckingham Palace.

A headteacher has said he is “over the moon” to have been awarded an OBE for his services to education.

17:25
First Step is running a competition where readers can win tickets to its summer ball

Two lucky readers are set to be transported back to the 1920s.

General view of HGV lorries.

Space for 50 tipper trucks will replace some of the old Ford site in Rainham if plans are approved.

Hall Lane, Upminster, has been closed off after a collision this morning.

Two women had to be cut out of a car after they were involved in a collision this morning.

Most read news

News from your area

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

Competitions

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder