Search

Win a £100 Amazon voucher in this week’s Recorder

On sale July 3

Couple ‘lucky to be alive’ after Hornchurch fire kills dog

18:00 28 January 2014

Paul Francis in the room damaged by fire

Paul Francis in the room damaged by fire

Archant

A couple and their grandchildren escaped with their lives on Sunday after a fire ravaged the pensioners’ home during the night, killing their beloved pet dog.

Fire damaged room believed to have been caused by the fridgeFire damaged room believed to have been caused by the fridge

Paul and Jenny Francis were awoken in the middle of the night by their smoke alarms when the larder fridge in their Hornchurch home caught fire, filling rooms with billowing black smoke.

Mr Francis, 67, ran downstairs where he found the utility room so full of dense smoke he described it as “like having a black cloth put over your face”.

Meanwhile, Mrs Francis, 67, grabbed their two young grandchildren Harrison, five and Nathan, four, and wrapped them in blankets before bundling them out of the house.

Mr Francis said: “You think it won’t happen to you. I opened the door and it was absolutely black, I couldn’t see anything. I put the light on and it made no difference - it was that thick.”

He tried to rescue their black cairn terrier dog Rosie who slept under the radiator next to the fridge but she is believed to have died from smoke inhalation almost immediately.

When fire crews arrived they tried but were unable to resuscitate the 11-year-old animal.

“The fireman was extremely cross with Paul going in for the dog but it was a natural reaction,” Mrs Francis said. “I’m just broken-hearted without Rosie.

“If we didn’t have the smoke alarms it would have been a very different story but it didn’t do Rosie any good. I just cannot believe she’s not here but it could have been all of us dead.”

The fire broke out in the Ayloff Close home at about 5.30am on Sunday.

It took two crews almost an hour to bring the blaze under control.

Mrs Francis said her grandchildren were traumatised by the fire and so she tried to make a game out of it by talking about Fireman Sam.

Her husband was taken to Queen’s Hospital, Romford, where he was treated for smoke inhalation.

Mr Francis added: “Nothing’s going to bring Rosie back but if it saves someone by knowing how important fire alarms and shutting your doors are, it’s worthwhile.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

09:08
Serious Incident Rainham Picture: @beckileigh_x

Met Police officers have safely detonated explosive devices after being called to an address in Plough Court, Broadis Way where a man was threatening to shoot himself.

Queen's Hospital, in Rom Valley Way, Romford, which is run by the Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust

A son has said he has “no confidence” in Queen’s Hospital due to the care received by his 86-year-old mother while being treated for a chest infection.

Yesterday, 22:54
Serious Incident Rainham Picture: @beckileigh_x

Residents have returned to their homes after police firearms and explosive officers were called to an address in Rainham.

Yesterday, 17:13
Serious Incident Rainham Picture: @beckileigh_x

Residents have been evacuated from their homes after police firearms and explosive officers were called to an address in Rainham.

Most read news

News from your area

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

Competitions

Y6 pupils unpack the rice

A school challenged their pupils to become enterprising individuals as they took on the national 90kg Rice Challenge.

Good times with Greenall's!

Good times with Greenall’s, a Great British gin sponsors Great British racing.

Escape to the picturesque sights of Cornwall

Summer is finally here, and what is the number one holiday location in the UK during the warmer months? Cornwall, of course!

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder