Search

Couple ‘lucky to be alive’ after Hornchurch fire kills dog

PUBLISHED: 18:00 28 January 2014

Paul Francis in the room damaged by fire

Paul Francis in the room damaged by fire

Archant

A couple and their grandchildren escaped with their lives on Sunday after a fire ravaged the pensioners’ home during the night, killing their beloved pet dog.

Fire damaged room believed to have been caused by the fridge Fire damaged room believed to have been caused by the fridge

Paul and Jenny Francis were awoken in the middle of the night by their smoke alarms when the larder fridge in their Hornchurch home caught fire, filling rooms with billowing black smoke.

Mr Francis, 67, ran downstairs where he found the utility room so full of dense smoke he described it as “like having a black cloth put over your face”.

Meanwhile, Mrs Francis, 67, grabbed their two young grandchildren Harrison, five and Nathan, four, and wrapped them in blankets before bundling them out of the house.

Mr Francis said: “You think it won’t happen to you. I opened the door and it was absolutely black, I couldn’t see anything. I put the light on and it made no difference - it was that thick.”

He tried to rescue their black cairn terrier dog Rosie who slept under the radiator next to the fridge but she is believed to have died from smoke inhalation almost immediately.

When fire crews arrived they tried but were unable to resuscitate the 11-year-old animal.

“The fireman was extremely cross with Paul going in for the dog but it was a natural reaction,” Mrs Francis said. “I’m just broken-hearted without Rosie.

“If we didn’t have the smoke alarms it would have been a very different story but it didn’t do Rosie any good. I just cannot believe she’s not here but it could have been all of us dead.”

The fire broke out in the Ayloff Close home at about 5.30am on Sunday.

It took two crews almost an hour to bring the blaze under control.

Mrs Francis said her grandchildren were traumatised by the fire and so she tried to make a game out of it by talking about Fireman Sam.

Her husband was taken to Queen’s Hospital, Romford, where he was treated for smoke inhalation.

Mr Francis added: “Nothing’s going to bring Rosie back but if it saves someone by knowing how important fire alarms and shutting your doors are, it’s worthwhile.”

Latest Romford News Stories

Yesterday, 17:00

Rats swarming in and out of bin bags, roaming confidently across front gardens and gnawing their way through fences – that is what residents of one Rainham street have found themselves up against.

Yesterday, 15:02

Fans can relive the unique musical talents of George Michael in a special tribute performance.

Yesterday, 12:19

Havering’s councillors look set to brand Sadiq Khan’s increased housing targets for the borough “unacceptable, unachieveable and unsustainable” at a meeting later this month.

Yesterday, 09:08

Medical failings stretching back more than two decades cost the NHS trust running Queen’s Hospital millions of pounds a year.

Yesterday, 08:13

An outspoken teenager from Romford is looking for two young people from the borough with mental health issues to take part in some mentoring sessions.

Mon, 17:00

A small Romford charity is celebrating their 20th anniversary with a special ball.

Mon, 16:30

Rail staff have shown their support for Havering Samaritans’ bid to turn “Blue Monday” into “Brew Monday”, by encouraging people to get together for a cup of tea and a chat.

Mon, 15:00

Havering Council cabinet members are set to discuss a proposed £30million grant from the GLA to pay for more affordable housing in the borough over the next three years.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Window and conservatory specialist Ken Rhodes talks about the possibilities for brightening up your home for the new year, and with their home improvement finance deals it’s possible for everyone to make some changes

Lisa and Jennie are cousins who grew up in the borough. Their grandmother, ‘Nanny Fish’ was a huge part of their lives, and while she had dementia and increasing needs, she really benefited from having care in her nephew’s loving home. This experience was the inspiration for Lisa and Jennie to set-up their own home care service.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

News from your area

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now