Search

Cigarette lighter caught in reclining chair mechanism starts fire at retirement flats

PUBLISHED: 08:09 25 May 2017

Brook Lodge, Medora Road, Romford. Photo: Google Maps

Brook Lodge, Medora Road, Romford. Photo: Google Maps

Archant

A cigarette lighter that was accidentally ignited by the mechanism of a reclinable chair caused a fire at a block of flats for elderly people earlier this morning.

Firefighters were called to Brook Lodge in Medora Way, Romford, to reports of a small fire in a flat.

It appeared that the cigarette lighter, which had been dropped by an elderly woman and had lodged itself inside an electrical chair, was the source of the flames.

A spokesman for Romford fire station told the Recorder: “It was a bit of a strange one actually, a lady had dropped her lighter down the side of the chair and it had become caught in the mechanism.

“Somehow, when she next went to recline it the mechanism has twisted the lighter and ignited it.

“Fortunately the chair was an expensive one made of fire-retardant materials and she was absolutely fine, but quite a bit of damage was done to the furniture.”

Latest Romford News Stories

in 46 minutes

Havering College held a special event on Tuesday to mark the official launch of its new specialist construction careers college.

Yesterday, 17:06

“St Leonard’s should have been idyllic,” says Paul Connolly, a resident of the former Hornchurch children’s home where sexual abuse was rife.

Yesterday, 17:52

A street gambler caught operating a street ruse known as the shell game in East Ham has received a suspended jail sentence.

Yesterday, 13:10

A Romford mother battling ovarian cancer has become the new face of a nationwide campaign promoting awareness of the disease.

Yesterday, 13:00

Havering’s very own 82-year-old marathon runner had a Tuesday morning to remember as he was made an MBE at a star-studded royal reception at Buckingham Palace.

Yesterday, 10:53

A headteacher has praised the government for taking a step in the “right direction”, by doubling sports funding in primary schools.

Yesterday, 07:00

Experts believe one in six people across the UK will have a mental health crisis this week that could lead to them developing a serious disorder.

Tue, 17:30

Havering’s finest got to try out their horse whispering techniques today as they managed to return a runaway horse safely to its stables.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

News from your area

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now