Search

Body of Lee Balkwell will be exhumed - died in Upminster farm 10 years ago

11:50 14 March 2013

Police will this month exhume the body of Lee Balkwell

Police will this month exhume the body of Lee Balkwell

Archant

The body of a man who died in a cement mixer more than 10 years ago is to be exhumed – in a dramatic new development in the police investigation.

Les said vital evidence may now be lostLes said vital evidence may now be lost

Dad-of-one Lee Balkwell, 33, was found trapped in the mixer on an Upminster farm in the early hours of July 18, 2002. His body will be exhumed later this month.

The original Essex Police probe concluded that his death had been an industrial accident and closed the case after just 19 days.

But Lee’s dad Les Balkwell has long suspected foul play and has been pushing for the reinvestigation by the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate.

The 66-year-old said: “It has been a great shock for my wife, my son, my daughter and me. The exhumation of Lee is not something any of the family wants. But it is something we believe is necessary to get the truth. Unfortunately, nearly 11 years have passed since Lee died, which means a lot of evidence will have been lost.”

An Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) report, released in January 2012 after four years, found the original probe “seriously flawed”.

It is now hoped “articles” buried with Lee may provide fresh clues.

The exhumation will take place at Upminster Cemetery. It follows re-examination by Home Office pathologist Dr Ben Swift of the original post-mortem reports by disgraced pathologist Dr Michael Heath.

West Midlands Police, which reviewed the earlier investigation on the IPCC’s orders, recommended exhumation more than three years ago. Essex Police kept the suggestion secret.

Les, of Abbs Cross Lane, Hornchurch, said: “I am angry. There have been years of missed opportunities to get to the truth of what happened to my son.”

A spokesman for Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said: “Officers intend to carry out an exhumation of the body of Lee Balkwell as part of the ongoing search for the truth regarding his death.

“The investigation team will remain in close contact with the next-of-kin and family of Lee Balkwell during the preparation and planning of this process.”

An inquest into Lee’s death in 2008 ruled he had been unlawfully killed as a result of gross negligence manslaughter.

Five people were arrested in connection with the current investigation last November. They were released on bail until April.

0 comments

Latest Romford News Stories

16:23
Snaresbrook Crown Court Pic: John Stillwell/PA

A business owner in Collier Row has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison after being found guilty of laundering cash totalling £166,000.

Cllr Alex Donald

An openly-gay councillor has set up Havering’s first LGBT forum to provide support and a place to meet.

Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY) visited The Campion School to screen pupil's hearts for possible undetected defects. Tony Hill, family screening manager, Peter Patterson and Dr Rajay Narain

A father who lost his son to an undiagnosed heart condition returned to a school, last week, with free heart screening treatment.

12:37
Havering's London Assembly member Keith Prince at Gallows Corner

London’s new mayor has said he will visit Gallows Corner to see traffic problems for himself.

12:30
PC Craig Emmery helped out a RTC last week while off duty

An off-duty special constable has recalled the “surreal” moments he rushed to the aid of injured car drivers.

Community Gardener Jesse Lock buliding a version of Rainham Hall for insects to use with local children and National Trust worker Brian Morrell

A wildlife expert has come up with a novel way to attract creepy crawlies to the garden of a historic hall – he’s built a bug hotel.

Charlie Kutyauripo, 16, who was stabbed to death in Woodford Bridge. Photo: @MostAuthentic

A friend of Charlie Kutyauripo’s told the Old Bailey that he was stabbed to death due to an argument over a tracksuit.

Yesterday, 16:51
The planned map for the full night-tube service, with the central and Victoria lines due to open on August 19

It has been confirmed this week that Transport for London’s first all-night tube services will begin on August 19.

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

News from your area

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

Competitions

Win a BMW 1 series

There are fewer cars currently on the market more stylish and exciting than the BMW. Known all over the world as one of the best car manufacturers, the BMW is renowned for sleek designs and fantastic high quality workmanship.

Kindle 7 inch tablet

Are you looking for a brand new gadget to help you stay connected on the go and make that long journey home a bit more entertaining? Look no further. MyOffers is giving you the chance to win 1 of 50 Kindle Fire 7” Display Tablets! That’s 50 times more chances to win, so hurry up and enter our competition today and you could be one of our lucky winners!

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe