Man dies in A13 Ferry Lane crash
PUBLISHED: 15:34 01 July 2015 | UPDATED: 10:03 02 July 2015
A man in his 20s has died in a horrific crash on the A13, near Ferry Lane.
Police were called to the scene just before 2pm and despite ambulance crews’ best efforts to save him, the victim was declared dead at the scene at 2.42pm.
A second casualty, believed to be a woman, was taken to an east London hospital.
Her injuries are not thought to be life threatening.
Officers remain at the scene and no arrests have been made so far.
Siobhan Mc, who was driving a few cars behind, said she saw two people lying in the road on either side of the reservation.
“It looked absolutely devastating,” she said. “The fire engine came past me and the crews looked distressed.”
Another man, who did not wish to be named, got out to help but said “there was nothing more to be done”.
He added: “I was the one who turned off the ignition in the car which had rolled over the central reservation.
“They landed in the fast lane of oncoming traffic but luckily no one hit them.
“The fire brigade deserve all the praise they get because they did what they could for them.”
Images taken by passer-by John Robins show the air ambulance arriving at about 3.45pm.
The A13 reopened at around 6pm after being closed for several hours.
TfL say queues will take time to clear and advise drivers to take an alternative route.
The crash comes after a fire at Albright Estate in Ferry Lane closed the road for much of the morning.
This story was updated at 9.40am on Thursday July 2.