Search

£7.5k for fireman with dehydration

18:02 28 June 2014

Fireman David Neicho from Ilford has received a £7,500 payout after claiming he was denied drinking water during a fire.

Fireman David Neicho from Ilford has received a £7,500 payout after claiming he was denied drinking water during a fire.

Archant

A firefighter who needed hospital treatment for dehydration after a massive flat fire has received thousands of pounds in compensation following a three-year battle.

David Neicho, 50, of Romford, was one of 30 firefighters called to the scene of a blaze in Woodford Avenue, Gants Hill, on August 3, 2011.

Refused

He says he fell ill after crews’ requests for bottled drinking water to be ordered were initially refused by fire chiefs.

Last week, Mr Neicho, who spent 27 years as a firefighter in Ilford, received a £7,500 payout following an out-of-court settlement over the incident with the London Fire Brigade.

According to fire service policy, crews are supposed to source drinking water from hydrants where possible, with requests for bottled water only allowed in exceptional circumstances.

Mr Neicho said senior staff had decided that crews should use hydrants, in line with brigade policy, but he claimed that firefighters had not been told about the decision. While a request for bottled water was made once it emerged that the hydrants had not been set up, the father-of-one began feeling unwell.

An ambulance was called and he was taken to hospital with suspected dehydration.

Mr Neicho, who lives in Romford, said: “It makes me incredibly angry that we could be treated like that over water.

Hot night

“I’m not really that bothered about the money. It was an extremely hot night. These were exceptional circumstances. People were jumping out of the windows, breaking legs and hips.”

Mr Neicho is now based at Stratford and has been assigned to light duties, such as installing smoke alarms.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “We took a commercial decision to settle this matter out of court.

“It would not be appropriate to comment.”

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

As fireworks light up the skies above Havering, firefighters have walked out in a strike that has been described as putting “people’s lives at risk”.

17:45
Enjoy firework displays being held across the borough.

Get into the bonfire spirit with firework nights across the borough.

17:37

A 28-year-old woman spent five hours trapped in her bathroom after the door’s lock failed to open.

The Queen's Theatre has launched a video asking people to support the venue in saying no to cuts being made to their funding.

Queen’s Theatre has released a video plea to its supporters to help it make Havering Council reconsider a proposed funding cut of £200,000.

Most read news

WW100

Click on the banner above for full coverage of the centenary commemorations of the outbreak of the First World War.

News from your area

One pilot has died and another is seriously injured after a rocket belonging to billionaire Sir Richard Branson’s space tourism venture crashed during a test flight. Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo rocket came down in the Mojave Desert in California. An eyewitness reported that the craft exploded in flight after ignition. A Virgin Galactic spokesman said the […]

Another two men were taken to local hospital with serious injuries.

There has never been better news on a Friday afternoon.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Romford Recorder e-edition today E-edition