April 24 2014 Latest news:
Dave Evans, West Ham Correspondent
Monday, January 20, 2014
Hammers boss Sam Allardyce says he feels ‘mugged’ over Lacina Traore signing being hijacked
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has slammed French club Monaco after missing out on the signing of giant centre forward Lacina Traore at the end of last week.
The six feet eight inch Ivory Coast international striker seemed set to move to Upton Park on loan for the rest of the season after being granted a work permit, but at the last minute, it emerged that another team was sniffing around the player.
“I think you will have to ask Monaco what happened,” said a frustrated Allardyce after Saturday’s 3-1 home defeat by Newcastle United.
“In the end, Monaco didn’t sign the paper work off when we asked them to, based on the fact they said some else was now interested. That was after us doing a deal with them.
“We wouldn’t have gone to all the trouble of a work permit hearing, of visiting him out there and doing his medical, but sadly, it looks like at the 11th hour there has been a change of heart.
“When you have done so much and worked so hard for a top quality player like him, it is a real kick in the nuts.”
It seems that Everton have come out of the shadows to attempt to sign the striker and perhaps the 23-year-old, nicknamed ‘The Gentle Giant’ was a little too gentle for the relegation fight that stood in front of him at West Ham.
Either way, it looks like Allardyce has missed out on his man and he was not happy about it.
“I was mugged bigger over that on Friday than I was against Newcastle,” he slammed. “At least there was a fight back in the players against Newcastle to try and get back into a winning position or at least a drawing position, but I got mugged good and proper over Traore.”